Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oh Canada! Eh?

Just got back from Brockville, Ontario, Canada population 30,000. I went there Sunday for work, Abbott has a manufacturing plant located there. Spent all day Monday teaching a class on how to manage changes in an organization and why it is bad to just let change happen. The bad part was I lost my voice! (No solos this Sunday Pastor Shawn, in case you were going to ask). My throat does not hurt, just not much comes out. I think Angela is happy about this, but not sure. So I will do more listening then speaking for a few days at home, Church and work.

I heard Angela made a slight mistake on the whiteboard this Sunday. We are having a BYOP (Bring your own pizza) party for the class on 2/15. She wrote BYOB, which of course stands for Bring Your Own Bible. Thanks Baby! More people probably looked at it becuse of the mistake than would have normally.

Brockville got about 4" of snow, but did not cause a problem. On Monday the training room was at the Country club and I was facing a wall of windows, trying to teach while watching the beautiful snow falling over the golf course.

On Monday night I went to dinner with some people from the plant and had POUTINE. The locals raved about this French dish, so I thought I would try it. All it was a was steak fries, with grated cheddar cheese on them smothered in gravy! It was OK, only had a few, but the gravy was from a jar, left a lot to be desired. Felt my arteries hardening while I was eating it.

I finally got around to reading the book FREAKONOMICS, it is a secular book written by a couple of economists. It was very interesting and quick read, I started the book on the plane Sunday and finished on the plane coming home yesterday. Lots of interesting views of society and how many of the beliefs we have about society are not really based in fact at all, but based on what someone wants us to buy. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to think about why things are in society today.

Finally, last Friday before I left I helped out at Upwards. I announced all of the players and the cheerleaders, not much but the kids really enjoyed it. The 2nd set of games were for the "Special Team". There kids are special needs children, but I think they had a better time than the other kids.

No comments: