Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Well, here it is, a cold & rainy day. We are getting ready to to the Thomas's for a cookout and the annual family fireworks display. This year we have over $1,000 worth of fireworks to set off! It will be bigger and better than ever.


I was reflecting on what we are celebrating today and the price that has to be paid for the freedoms and liberties we take for granted. So thank you troops and military people all over the world, thanks for for defending this great country.


I was also thinking about the word "pledge" as in "Pledge of Allegiance". If we really pledge ourselves to something, doesn't that require us to do whatever it takes to fulfill our commitments to God, family, country, etc. It seems like we want to keep our commitments when it is easy for us, or little personal effort is required. But a pledge involves much more.


I was reading Sports Illustrated and there is an article that contains the "Pledge of Success"


Today is a new day, a new beginning.
It has been given to me as new gift.
I can either use it or throw it away.
What I can do today will affect me tomorrow.
I cannot blame anyone but myself if I do no succeed.
I promise to use this day to the fullest by giving my best, realizing it can never come back again.
This is my life and I choose to make it a success.

I wonder how many lives would be changed today if we all took this pledge and then kept it!

I also wonder if we looked back over our lives and could recall all the times we have pledged to do things for God, but bad choices or poor priorities have kept us from fulfilling our commitments.

Why not recommit yourself to being successful in God's plan for your life, then you will have the ultimate success.

No comments: