Thursday, February 03, 2011

Downsized Part 2

Today I begin the 2nd week of being unemployed.

It was a week ago Wednesday that I got the ax from Abbott. I was one of 1,900 in the US, and 1 of 100+ in Columbus to lose their jobs. In my department in Chicago there was also 1 other person downsized, so 2 of 10, we were hit pretty hard.

As you can imagine, it has been an emotional roller coaster. I thought I would be able to retire from Abbott, it is a great company and a really miss the people (most of them anyway :)) Now we are facing the possibility of relocating away from here, a thought that we are not enjoying. But we know God has plans for us and will lead us where he wants us to be.

I have been keeping busy this past week, mostly dealing with mom and dad. Mom is moving out of the rehab side and into the long term care side of Newark Healthcare. A sad day but she is safe there and it gives my dad a break. I am trying to convince him to sell his house and move but I need to plant the seeds now and let him work up to a decision in a few weeks (Angela says I am just like that also, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.)

Starting to prepare myself for the job search, had an opportunity in Iowa, but it is too far away. Another opening in Columbus, but have not heard anything yet. One good thing is that I can apply for others jobs within Abbott as they come open, SO I am also watching the job board closely.

Began walking on the treadmill and using the Bowflex almost everyday. Wanted to do it before, but now i have the time and motivation to start it. Just need to consistent.

Went the auction today, nothing but junk, but had breakfast at their restaurant.

That's all for now, will keep you posted on how it is going

"...I know who holds the future, and I know who holds my hand."

No comments: