Monday, April 13, 2009

Surgery: T minus 30 days and counting

Angela and I met with Doctor Kaufman today to finalize treatment options and got some relatively good news.

My cancer is rated as T1c, which is the lowest form of prostate cancer, comparable to stage 1 in other forms of cancer. We talked a lot about pros and cons of all the options and decided to have a radical prostatectomy, which is an actual removal of the prostate. Doctor Kaufman explained that this is the only treatment option where the side effects get better with age and not worse.

The surgery is scheduled for May 14. I have to do some pre-op testing and donate some blood to myself, in case it is needed. I will be off works for 2 weeks for sure, work at home week 3 and back at work week 4, if all goes well.

I am going to take one of our products we make, Juven, before and after to help with the healing. Maybe I can make a TV commercial for them? since i am employee, they probably will not pay me anything extra.

My Sunday school class had special prayer for us yesterday, it was very nice and I appreciate them doing that very much.

On a lighter note, Tyler called today and he won the "Technology Teacher of the Year" award in Shelby County schools. BIG honor and I am very proud of him. More details to follow when he sends them.

Pressing On!

No comments: