Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why you should always order your own food

Last night I went out with some people who would be attending my class today. There were 3 Dutch, 1 Irish, and 1 USA (me) in attendance.


The Irish guy knew of a good Spanish place to eat. So we started on a 15 min walk to this beautiful, but small restaurant. As you could imagine, no one knew any English, and no one in our group knew Spanish, so I knew it would be interesting.



1 of the Dutch guys thought he knew Spanish, he ordered a starter (appetizer) for the group and then told to waiter to "surprise us with 5 dinners". The waiter had a puzzled look, so to make sure I got something, I pointed to what I wanted, the menu was in Spanish and English.

To make a long story short, I was only one who got any dinner. The waiter did not bring the other guys anything after the appetizer. I felt bad an offered to share, but the Dutch guy was so confident their food was on the way they did not want to eat mine. BTW : I had monkfish with prawns and clams, very good.

When the waiter cleared my plate away the dutch guy realized that was all that was coming and went into the kitchen, found a busboy that he thought understood English and ordered 4 more dinners. About 10 mins later, they brought 1 dinner with 4 forks!

At that point, it was already 1030 PM, remember Spanish people start dinner after 8:00 Pm. I was tired and had to teach today, so I left and walked aback to the hotel.

At breakfast this AM I asked what happened after I left. 1 of the other Dutch guys went and got a menu and pointed to what I had and ordered 4 of those. They finally got their food about the time I fell asleep. They got back to the hotel about 12:30 AM, they looked a little tired today.

2 more nights and then coming home!

Press On!

2 comments:

The Buddha said...

i watch those food shows on the travel channel. it could have been alot worse. i'll take a 2 hour wait over eating stewed brains or fried rectum. LOL

Shawn Gierling said...

Jeff, that is the best story ever. Classic.