Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ireland

Sorry it took so long to report, but Internet access has been an issue. So has happened since update:

  • Drove to Malaga and then flew to Dublin no problems, slept almost the whole way.
  • Got through customs fine, got my ticket for the flight to Sligo
  • The security line was moving along OK, but the lady in front of me was Eastern European, did not speak much English and had a baby in a stroller (Irish call it a pusher).
  • As we approached the metal detector. the lady in front of me got very confused, the security people were telling her to put the stroller on the x-ray machine belt, so she did baby and all!!!
  • They stopped the line, 2 more security people came up, this time the mother was scared thought she had did something wrong and started crying in an unknown tongue!!!
  • I thought it was very funny, I have traveled a lot and I never saw someone try to put a baby through the X-ray machine!
  • Flight to Sligo otherwise was good, small prop plane, sat next to a lady with talked my ear off the whole way. It was good to hear English again, so I did not mind.
  • After landing, my luggage did not make it, so I has to wash the important pieces of clothes that I needed to wash the next day in the sink, and use the blow dryer to dry them off. My bag arrived about the 10 AM the next day, so at the break I changed my clothes in the bathroom at the plant, not ideal, but it worked fine.
  • The hotel Clarion looks like a castle with 300 rooms, it used to be a psychiatric hospital, so the claim there are certain rooms that no ones stays in, because of the terrible things that happened in them, but I fine.
  • Class went very well, finished the 1st class at Noon local time, waiting for the next one to start in 30 min.
  • Last night several of us went to an Italian place in downtown Sligo. It was kind of weird eating Italian food, in Ireland, while they played Spanish music!!! Oh well , it could worse.
  • Sleeping much better, 2 more nights until coming home!
  • Weather is very rainy and cold, but people are great, very friendly and obviously much easier to communicate. They have already asked me to come back at the end of the 1st Quarter 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff:

Instead of typing all this interesting crap, why aren't you shopping?? We gave you a specific item to search for...a tablecloth...is that too much to ask?? (Irish Linens) We were thinking pottery in Spain, however, too much to ask, as Angela said you are not good with "fragile" things..I agreed, and will give you a reprieve on pottery. Please be advised, if we do not hear you have done any shopping very soon, my dear sister I will make up for it in the states! Can't wait to see your smiling face with a tablecloth in hand!

Your Favorite Sister-in-law.
Tammy