Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"We got it all"

While no one wants to hear they have cancer, after surgery this is what you DO want to hear. Friday night Doctor Kaufman came in with the good news. The cancer was contained to my prostate gland, nothing spread to lymph nodes. With that past I can now focus on my recovery.

Some of the "memorable" moments since last Wednesday:
  • Surgery on Thursday went pretty well, got back to the room in the afternoon.
  • Was not in a lot of pain, so I was surprised when the nurse came in and told me the more I hit the morphine pump (a wonderful invention I might add), the smaller the dose that comes out. I couldn't figure it out, I had only hit it 2 times, so I could take a nap, all day. After she left everyone started laughing and told me, Corey had been helping me out by hitting the button for me! No wonder I was feeling good!!!
  • Food was interesting, ice chips on Thursday, all liquids on Friday (think bland pureed baby food), and regular food on Saturday home on Sunday. My brother in law John added "Royal Red Robin burger", from Red Robin to the whiteboard in my room under "Type of Diet"as motivation to get out of the hospital. You will have to ask Donna and Michael George what they added to my diet.
  • Amazed at all who stopped by to visit, [note to self, buy Billy Andrews map of Columbus.] Must have been 20 people over the 4 days. THANK YOU!
  • Tammy and Gary's car got hit from the back while coming over to see me. Not much damage, but Tammy was shook up a little. Since that is the same car that someone backed into when Corey was driving, might be time to get rid of it. Never heard of a car being an accident magnet, this one might be the first.
  • Tyler and Rachel drove all night Wednesday to be with us, Tyler me us in the parking lot when we first arrived a the hospital. Later during the weekend they went to dinner with Angela, and Rachel got up to leave and almost knocked knocked a lady walking past the table. The lady almost ended up in Angela's lap!

That's all for now, getting tired, so will post more later

Pressing on, in Christ alone!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

So glad to hear that, you have often been in our prayers!
By the way, did you ever get your Royal Red Robin Burger?

Jeff (Big Daddy) Salyer said...

not yet, waiting until I can enjoy it!