Thursday, May 28, 2009

2 weeks ago ...

2 weeks ago today was my surgery.

I am amazed and thankful how fast the time has gone by. Tomorrow is a big day, back to the doctor for catheter ("little friend" referred to in an earlier post) removal! It will the next big step in my recovery.

Just finished reading "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. It is a book I thought I would like because it is a true story based on the life of Michael Oher, who overcame being a homeless inner city Memphis kid to 1st round draft choice in the NFL. He was helped a lot by a white family who took him in and let him live with their family during high school and made him part of the family.

From living in Jackson, TN, I recognized many of the places and schools mentioned in the book. I was hoping the book would have dealt more on the spiritual side of his development. The only mention of Christ is on page 283 out of 293 pages total. When asked why Michael was not a more vocal voice for Christ, someone from the high school, Briarcrest Christian School, quoted

Exodus 6:12: "But Moses said in the LORD's presence: "If the Israelites will not listen to me, then how will Pharaoh listen to me, since I am such a poor speaker?"

That was all, nothing else, and very little by Michael Oher himself. Not what I thought it would be, but I guess the story is still being written.

Book did have a little other NFL information that interesting, but reading it once was enough. Be glad to let someone else read my copy to save you from spending your money on it.

No comments: